Thursday, December 23, 2010

7 papers were not the problem. Myself is.

After a semester of skipping the exam review due to a big disappointment, this sem I'm going to post it again. It's not that I'm not disappointed, or I am content with the result.. But this sem taught me a LOT.

I had 7 papers this sem, they are a LOT, but since 1 module is put under S/U option and another 1 is lab which, more or less, you can't study a lot and wait and see it happened, so, it is roughly the same as usual =)

So.. let's start.

CBC922 - Medicinal Chemistry
Roughly a simple module, or 3rd biochem module according to my friend. My biochem record is not good at all, but thank God I could get through this. The paper was considerably, relatively more difficult than the past years' ones.

CBC314 - Physical and Biophysical Chemistry 2
A LOT of questions, and a WAAAAYYYY LOT harder than past year papers! My friend who sat behind me showed a bad sign after the invigilator collected our answer booklets, and I couldn't help but agreed with her. Moreover, we are, more or less, at the same level, and she was worried until days after this paper. Made me worried as well.

CBC316 - Chemistry and Biological Chemistry Laboratory 4
Somehow I believe that the questions are being recycled each year! Lab written exams were never easy for most students, especially because the TAs only explained things that were necessary for experimental procedure and data processing. In the paper they asked technical questions (who had expected?????). INCONSISTENCY!!!!! Oh.My.God.

CBC932 - Polymer Chemistry
The paper itself was relatively easy, only a few "trap" questions. I only hope I am helped by the bell curve, though.

HP806 - Psychology of Crisis Stress Management
I am very glad that I S/U it. The module was quite interesting, but the exam paper was quite deadly.

CBC311 - Chemical Spectroscopy and Applications
Overall remark is the same as polymer. The first lecturer, who gave a HARD mid-term quiz, put easy questions, but the second lecturer who had an easy mid-term quiz gave one "trap" but easy question and one super long, tiring question. Yaaa, so, bell curve, save me please!

CBC934 - Heterocyclic Chemistry
The initial shock was interesting. And I wondered why I put nearly the same answers with those students who S/U this module? *faints* I still do strongly hope that I will pass this module with a good remark.

It was not a good exam period, right? Yes. It was tough.
But it was not as most NTU-ers tought. The problem was not the number of papers (this is NTU! Chemistry and Biological Chemistry division, to be exact. You will end up with 5-6 papers normally). The problem was MYSELF. With procrastination. Yessssssss. Maybe the same thing was also my pitfall last sem, apart of being insecure, having lack of confident in myself and ending up listen to and follow people's opinion out there, tired of all the unimportant projects from core modules (should I cross that out? even professors in my division admit that as well!), works, bad priority adjusment and people out there, in general and in specific.

I need more Rachel Berry good qualities.

However, it seems that not only me who realized something was wrong about some students in our cohort.. So if that person reads this, just be confident in yourself, gal. You have much more incomparable, good qualities as well =) Just do your best and don't think about anything else, I believe you will make a good chemist, a good scientist, or a good person in whatever form you may be (musician, perhaps?), one day.
Looking forward to treasure the long journey of research with you =)
Hey! Who, among undergrads in CBC, have ever gotten 4 papers, as first author, accepted at top, high-impact journals from 10 weeks of work, anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wna ask, was HP806 that deadly during finals? I'm in cbc/2 so am rly thinking what to take to clear AHSS GERPE rn.
Would rly hope you could shed some light (: