Tuesday, October 26, 2010

How popular is Glee in Indonesia?

I'm wondering whether Indonesians are being refreshed from the popular songs nowadays (I shall not give any personal opinions on those songs, cos I don't listen to them) since Putri Ayu of Indonesia Mencari Bakat tries to popularize pop-operatic and classical crossover music in Indonesia (even though I feel that she was not supported enough, lately she did not collaborate with Indonesian "seriosa" singers as many as before and she was asked to sing pop music until Addie MS returned her to "classics" *and even asked her to sing together with Twilite Orchestra! oh how powerful a network is....*), or by the popular American series about show choir "Glee" which is popular in the US and at least, within my circle of friends in NTU. My friends in Indo are mostly favoring Japanese stuffs, so analytically, they will be unsignificant samples.. =P

That question popped up because I noticed that in the video below, there is the Glee version of "Defying Gravity". FYI it was shown when Rachel and Kurt were having a "diva-off competition" to get the solo for this song. It happened like "Hmm? It's Defying Gravity. Is it Rachel singing? I think so..... Is this the Glee one? WELL YEAH THIS IS KURT'S VOICE!!! This is certainly the Glee version!!!!!", all by heart.

Btw, I think it's a bit strange to have this song when Hudson told the audience about his mom, since this song was performed in Wicked when Elphaba flied (defied the gravity). Correct me if I'm wrong, though. If this were shown later (within these two weeks) maybe it'd have been more dramatic to use Kurt's version of The Beatles' "I Want to Hold your Hand".. Ok, just another "what-ifs".

At 1:45,


However,
GO HUDSON!~

Anyway, still in accordance with Glee,
I want Hudson (and Jessica) to challenge Kurt singing this song. I'm going to put Kurt's version.

Lea Michele (Rachel)'s laugh at the end was hilarious

Kurt only showed male's version (both of his "alter ego" or duet partner or whatever are males) although I had expected him to have a "female" counterpart since he dressed just like Hudson's two-faces. I want to hear Jessica also sing this, cos at Victor/Victoria, if I remember correctly, it was Victoria who sang this song. =)

Anyway my favorite act from Indonesia Mencari Bakat grand final (he should be competing there!!! Too bad he got eliminated at the big 4. Anyway, Hudson, your mom in Heaven must be proud of you):


video credits: YouTube (denimartono, misterioy)

No comments: