Thursday, January 20, 2011

Are they truly superior?

A friend posted this for his friends to (hopefully) read, and as I gaped I couldn't resist to comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read


I won't judge any education or parenting ways because each of them has positive and negative sides on its own. I am just concerned about the effect they have on the childrens, especially after reading the comments. Research discussions, self-experiences, hate, suicides of family, to name a few, put me in awe.

I won't say, neither, that I did not face all those things the mother claimed as superior. Being a Chinese-descent, I did experience what the writer self-claimed as the best way to raise children. In elementary school, I was scolded when I didn't bring good marks with me. Yes. But I think this happened to every children, especially when their parents thought that they really could! I was trained for maths as a fundamental lesson each kid needs to have, but now I don't end up as a math student (even though my current study is quite close to it, well, science/engineering fields are interconnected to one another). I was kind of "forced" to play either violin or piano and the members of their respective family, but well, it seemed that I didn't acquire any talents on them. I ended up doing something else which are equally useful and fun for me. I was never forbidden from school plays; my parents continously pushed me to on-stage performances and social engagements, it was just me who was being all anti-social and introverts that I preferred doing all backstage acts and organizing committee involvement and stuffs.. And ya, I am still an introvert. I prefer to take photos, organize events, publicize, design props, backdrops and decorations or write reviews rather than be on-stage in a sold-out performance in an auditorium. It is just a matter of self-satisfaction to me when I feel I can use all my energy and talents to them. And who said that people who stayed in backstage can't socialize? They may as well gained a big big social network! I was angered by a middle-school IQ/EQ test results who claimed so, and some people who just generalize. On sleepovers, well I don't remember having those memories, but maybe it also dealt with the fact that I am the only children of my parents..

Back to the main topic, my parents never tried to change me to someone I don't. I had never forced to stay awake all nights to catch up on my studies by them (so, by someone/anything else? LOL. I admit that I am perfectionist, and clearly ambitious at times ;)). They gave me inputs and choices, but in the end I would be the one who had the responsiblity to find out what I really want to do, and they have been supportive about that.

School plays, music instruments outside piano or violin and sports are achievements on their own. Maths, physics, chemistry, biology, geography, art and literature are good in their own way. Which parents wouldn't be proud of their children if they achieved something that make them felt whole, proud and, if I may give an interpretation to the article, famous? Award-winning movie stars or filmmakers, highly-acclaimed writers, high-class musicians, managers, photographers, scientists, designers, lawyers, doctors? None of them is worse than the other. I believe every parents would, and they wouldn't be willing to bear sadness when they saw their children reaching lives that made them unhappy even though they gained all the wealth and fame, or eventually hate them for turning them to somebody they aren't.. Afterall, they are people who have minds and feelings, not robots.

I agree that parents are responsible for the kids they are raising, but what is better than having children being thankful and proud to have their parents in their life?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Luckily, my Mom never went that far. She only wanted to see good result, whether or not I studied :P