Wednesday, July 20, 2011

bubbleteaology.



While browsing through tumblr and flickr, I found these two photos in this post. Apart from the nice photo people able to create (everytime I took photographs from my room, I don't think they are very nice. It's unknown whether it's my lousy skill or my desk's unattractive appearance). Anyway, this is about that thing there. Bubble teas receive a huge craze in Singapore. It is quite easy to find places who sell bubble teas, starting from small shops in MRT stations or neighborhoods or school until a well-known (and mostly expensive) brands such as sweet talk, each a cup, happy lemon, KOI and gong cha. And people do queue to buy them. Just like what they do when they want to top-up their bus passes during the peak hour at MRT stations and bus interchanges. Just like when there are freebies giveaways.

I have one post on my opinion on bubble tea in my tumblr blog, but since I like to write better in blogger (for me tumblr is only for short comments and photographs and "scrapblog") I will rewrite it in my lengthy, thoughtful style here.

I actually don't really into the bubble tea craze. Of course it's nice to drink them once in a while, because they are light and refreshing. A lot of my friends seem to like them too. But I don't really know what is so special about them, I think I posted this here after I drank KOI for the first time. Some of my friends, be them Indonesians, locals or other international students agree with me that it is the bubbles/chewy black thing at the bottom of the glass that make the drink delicious.

In general, I don't really like the hand-made teas commonly available in Singapore. Most of them are served in milk and I don't really like milk tea be it cold or hot. I strongly prefer the teas served in Indonesia back then, they are tea only, without milk, and the taste of the tea is just.. like that. They are different than those blank tea (teh kosong) served in Singapore.

As I said previously.. I am on the side which think that the bubbles is what make the drink delicious. I found some other drinks also put bubbles inside, like some brands of soymilk.. And yeah, I'd prefer those than the sweet, diabetes-inducer, not-so-satisfying drink that I've been talking about. Besides soymilks are indeed healthier.

But if I had to choose to buy some drinks in a hot, hot day, I'd definitely go for Starbucks. The places are nice for hangouts or sit-and-talk-and-wifi or study, too! A cheaper option would be McCafe. But yep, McCafe is still expensive for me, so I'd go with bottled green tea instead. Or, being the mostly-occuring case, a chilled mineral water. Anyway, this post won't pose any offenses for those bubble tea lovers.. But yeah. Not everyone must agree with the majority, isn't it? =D Afterall, I do drink them once in a while.. And hey, they're nice photo objects too!


cr: flickr
.
PS. Anyway, one day after I posted in my tumblr about the bubble tea craze.. My lab decided to buy KOI. And... Yeah. I participated. What a mouth --a

No comments: