Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In dilemma

Advancing my Japanese or German?

How I love both.. I want to learn them after I graduate from this B.Sc.. But it is hard to study two different languages from scratch simultaneously, isn't it?

Why Japanese?
Hmm, Japanese anime has been part of my life since I was in kindergarten! Now I rarely watch anime and even read manga, but I am still addicted to J-music (DAI for life, yay!) and J-dorama. And those spin-offs.. Oh I simply love them. If I'm not in NTU right now, I might ended up receiving Monbukagakusho scholarship to study Pharmacy/Food Tech/Chem there (or.. pursuing a bachelor degree in Food Technology on scholarship in Indo. I think the latter is more favorable). Eventually my prof has an affiliation with a material lab there, so, if his NTU lab is full maybe he'll export me and my labmates there for PhD in the future.. Who doesn't want?? Shibuya, Tokyo Tower, Tokyo Daigaku, Yoyogi Park, Ebisu Garden.. Name it!!

Why German?
My friends are able to speak German, and I love German national football team since I was an elementary school student. I started studying a little in high school and learned more of it in NTU Modern Language Elective by some reasons (apparently it was because I couldn't get into Japanese language elective due to clashing timetables). German is my second choice of further studies, though, after my NTU German tutor told me more about it. If I'm not mistaken, one of my prof's ex-student is one of the group leader there.. =P

Then..
I checked the fee to enroll at Goethe-Institut Singapore, and it is really expensive!! S$460 for one level, 10 weeks, twice a week. Ouch. But yah it is still half of the special term fee in NTU for the same duration and level, and the students will get discounted fee for taking a German language exam for foreigner.. =P But it is still expensive! Haha.
I don't know where to go if I want to learn Japanese in Singapore (outside), but I know some people who are able to speak Japanese well and even have ever lived/stayed there (attachment, scholarships..) But then I don't feel comfortable if I keep nagging on them to ask about this matter.. >.<

Should I just continue to learn both languages by myself?

1 comment:

lrwonline said...

Stumbled on your blog by chance- was looking for Jap language lessons too. In the end, I found out an old friend had started a language school few years back, offering Japanese! And his course fee is quite reasonable, $250 for 8 weeks. His website is at: Learn Japanese In Singapore

Cheers!